Lochwood Tower
The red stone ruins of the Johnstone
stronghold of Lochwood Tower are in upper Annandale, a few miles south-west of Moffat
near Beattock.
Lochwood was the historic seat of the
Johnstone clan and was attacked and burned by both the English and the rival
Maxwells on at least two occasions. It was also captured and occupied by
English invaders from 1547 to 1550.
The large tower was once impressive and is
described as having a hall, kitchen and stables all within the barmkin wall
during the occupation, but there only scant remains left today.
The Laird of Johnstone was part of a
powerful bloc of Scottish nobles, being ‘double cousin German’ to Sir Walter
Scott of Buccleuch, who was in turn brother-in-law in to Sir Robert Kerr of
Cessford, having married his sister. These complex family ties were at the very
heart of the reiver way of life and the Johnstone’s had close associations to
the Elliots and Grahams of Esk and were linked to the breaking of Kinmont from Carlisle.
